Monday, May 22, 2006

Wine, trout and fungus

John Kittle and I went trouting early yesterday morning for the planned Sunday night supper. We went to a new (to me) section of creek that was just gorgeous, and full of trout.

We had limits so early, that we decided to go picking some morels for a couple of hours. John took me to his secret picking grounds, where we walked the woods looking for the evasive morel. We saw deer, including some newly dropped fawns, and had a great time. We managed a gallon-sized ziplock full of the tasty fungi.

Sunday night, John brought out his three trout that had been marinated in some maple syrup & oil, then stuffed with diced red & green peppers, onion, sundried tomatoes & celery. These were placed in tin foil with a slice of Venison bacon and grilled about 15 minutes. I broiled 9 trout with the gorgonzola breading because they wanted to try that recipe, and John and I pan fried the morels breaded in flour and ate every one of them! Various wines flowed, and the conversation and food were excellent.

Now I have to start all over replenishing the trout supply for another night. Work, work, work...what drudgery to have such a job!

No comments: