Monday, May 22, 2006

It went like this

Pretty well. Our team got 8th place out of 50 teams, and cashed a check for $500. 19.28# won the tournament and we had #15.77, but we only weighed in 7 fish. I will have nightmares about the eighth one all summer.

It's 2:37 PM and we are due back at 3pm for weigh in. We check one more spot, and I hook a fish on the first cast that is VERY heavy. It's taking line off my reel as my partner is grabbing the net, getting ready to scoop it up. Almost there...just a little more...there she is (holy shit Joddi this one's BIG)...easy...easy...POP!

The "pop" was the sound of my line breaking. It was the sound of crushing defeat. For 20 seconds we both knew we had the contest won; now we're wondering if we will even place. We simply packed up, fired up, and drove to weigh in. After all, we had spent the last 4 hours on a hunt for a larger "kicker" fish to finish our limit. We finally found her...and I lost her. Further effort was futile.

An eighth fish...any legal fish...would have advanced us at least two places.
This eighth fish was clearly over 5#...and would have won us the tournament. My inattentiveness to my frayed line cost us $4500. It's a rookie mistake.

I don't have any pictures because, once again, I forgot the digital camera.

No comments: