Friday, May 26, 2006

True Love

Today I heard the name mentioned of an old friend I have not had contact with for about 10 years. One of our last conversations we had, the week of his wedding, went something like this:

Me: "Are you ready for married life, I never thought I would see you tie the knot"

Him: "I'm having second thoughts...freaking a little I guess...I think she's the one"

Me: "Whaddya mean you think she's the one?" "You're getting married next weekend dumbass, you better know. Do you love her?"

Him: "I think so. I mean, she's cool and all that, and man, she shaved for me. How many women would do that just for you? I think I have to hang on to this one."

They were divorced after 4 years and two kids, despite his deep affection for her. No one who knew him was surprised. True story.

We had a falling out about 6 months after this episode. Someday I will post the tale about this same guy a month after his wedding, that produced one of the funniest moments in my life. You kind of had to be there and know him for it to be side splitting, and I'm not sure I can translate it to paper, but I will try.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"No one who knew him was surprised."

Was his bride surprised? How is it she didn't know?

This is the type of thing that just petrifies me. I really wish jerks were required to wear jerk labels for all to see. I just hope that I don't find myself in that type of situation where everyone knows the guy's a jerk except for me.

Eric said...

His bride? She was a few bricks short of a load herself. Who knows the reason SHE was dating him...it was probably just as bizarre.

My belief is that a woman of your intellect would see through what ever haze was hanging over this relationship. I doubt you would fall victim to the likes of this guy. Although, he could be quite charming if there was something he needed or wanted.

He was irresponsible as hell, ignorant of other peoples feelings, self-absorbed and a pathelogical liar. That is why we had a falling out.