Friday, March 24, 2006

Today is a momentous day for me

I have finally given myself permission to stop using smokeless tobacco. I have been using chew consistently since the 8th grade, and it is time to stop. I don't enjoy it much anymore with a couple of major exceptions. Coffee and Copenhagen in the pre-dawn mist of a tournament day will always hold the strongest lure for me. Ditto for completing a great meal with same.

Sure, I've quit before. One time it was even serious and I stopped for 6 months. Then fishing season came around, and I was constantly beset with friends hawking Copenhagen and I realized...I really missed my long time companion. I broke under the self-induced pressure, and rejoined the legion of snuffites. That was over 10 years and THOUSANDS of dollars ago.

My friend, the Copenhagen can, has been upwardly mobile for many years while I have not. He runs with a more elite and affluent crowd these days, and I cannot afford to keep up. $5.39/can just to play with him; and my schedule is 4-5 times a week. That is some serious money over the course of a year...five years...or 20. When I started chewing, a can retailed for about a buck and a half. I warned Mr. Copenhagen repeatedly over the years that whenst it reached $5, I was done. He did not listen, and now I am. Sorry U.S.Tobacco Co., you really should have seen the writing on the wall.

Jefe-my Copenhagen brethren since college-has managed to kick the can from his life. Ask any long time chewer how hard this act is, then multiply it by two, and you can get some idea of the accomplishment. It's much harder than cigarettes to quit, and I know because I was addicted to these things long ago as well.

Nope..no more. My mouth is as tired as my wallet. Cold turkey for two weeks will do the trick. No patches, no gum, no hypnosis, no tapes, no meetings...just my desire to finally be rid of the beast forever.

The pain begins today.

No comments: