Friday, March 24, 2006

If you fart in Hawaii...

during the month of April, chances are it will be noticed by 100 or more people. That is because there aren't any available airline seats to there until after April unless you want to pay VERY, VERY dearly, and bump some poor family off their flight.

According to NWA World Vacations, Hawaii is smokin right now, and hotels and airlines are booked to over capacity. I can verify this because of the 20 or so hours I spent online trying to get a vacation booked for my wife and I. According to NWA, the chance of getting an award flight with my frequent flyer miles is approximately akin to winning the lottery. In a note of irony, I actually found an award ticket and a regular fare ticket, our hotel choice, and rental car on Tuesday...but I could not reach my wife to confirm it would be OK. The next day guess what-no award flight any more, and the SAME package was $1700 MORE than the day before. Now, 3 days on, it is virtually impossible. I'm thinking about sending Nextel the bill for the difference. After all, it was their cell phone service that cost me the trip.

But it has been raining cats and pineapples for over 10 days in the islands, that is why I started to look. I figured #1) the chance of good weather moving in for my trip is exponentially increased due to the freakish weather they have been having lately and #2) others would not book due to the weather. Apparently every one else is playing odds like I am, because it is nearly impossible to find a flight within the next two weeks at any sane price level (I CAN find two round trip first class seats for about $2200 per person...I think I'll pass.)

Oh BTW, the hut on that backwater South Pacific island lagoon I posted about?
Try about $1000 / night for Bora Bora and Fiji. I think I will just spent $1000 total on some good booze and a sun lamp, stay home, and get drunk enough for a week that I don't know if I am in Fiji or the Arctic.

Nahh...we're looking for a change.

No comments: