Monday, March 20, 2006

Those Darn Brits!

The box containing my British made Arcam AVP700 processor has the following warning printed on the side: "Contains Sensitive Electronic Equipment, Useless if Dropped".

Useless if dropped. Not just plain "Fragile", or "Caution", or some vagary that Americans might use to stave off a lawsuit, but "Useless". That pretty much clears it up don't you think? I can see a Monty Python sketch coming out of this.

"I want to return my kit because I've dropped it and it is now useless."

"I'm sorry sir, there are perfectly good uses for that piece. I can't take it back, so sorry. Now off ya go."

"But it says right on the box..Useless if dropped. I've taken a tumble with it myself..smashed it up good I'd say. Now if you'd just exchange..."

"What about a coffee table?" Yes, I can see it would make a perfectly good coffee table if you'd just put your mind to it. Silly man, off you go".

"But I..."

"Doorstop, litterbox, anchor, platter, planter, sink, welcome mat, nick-nack, birdcage, animal trap, trash bin...How many more would you like? Now piss off before I think of more, and don't come back until it can't be used"

No comments: