Monday, November 06, 2006

Pheasant frenzy!

The results of the pheasant hunt at Forest Ridge would NOT tell you I was the class B sporting clays champ. I think I missed the first 5 roosters I drew a bead on!

I took out my trusty Stoeger Uplander Supreme grouse gun for the day...and it proved anything but trusty. Apparently, highpower payloads this gun does NOT like. I would shoot one barrel, then the other would not fire on the inevitable follow-up shot after my miss. Never had that happen with much lighter partridge loads in this piece.

The Uplander is never hunting pheasant again, or anything else requiring a high-brass, max dram payload for that matter. I don't care how light and easy to carry it is. At least I could blame my gun for the escaping birds.

18 hunters bagged around 65 pheasants for the day. It was a far cry from the 90 birds we bought and were released into the 400 acres, but enough to get 4 or 5 birds per person for the freezer. John's lab Chyna was in rare form again, accounting for nearly all the flushes in our group of 6 hunters. She was incredible, finding and flushing 29 of the 30 birds released into our 95 acre field. Now if only the shooters had done their part that well! Anyway, the food and the company were great. I walked enough to easily get into the guiness book of records for distance traveled by a hominid, but it was good for me.

No comments: