Thursday, June 15, 2006

Test Run

Last night I did a test smoke of my new, homemade smoker. It is a contraption composed of two LARGE clay flowerpots (one inverted on the other), an electric hot plate, a pan of hickory chunks and a round grill.

It worked wonderfully. The thermometer I placed in a hole in the top read beautiful 220 degree smoke rolling out of the vent. The real test was the burner held the temp for over an hour without the thermocouple fuse cycling. Test completed...Bring on the brined Boston butt.

13 hours in this bad boy will make hickory smoked meat that falls off the bone. I will probably build one more so that at the big BBQ bash on the 24th, I can smoke both ribs and the pork shoulder at the same time. People got to eat, and when they come over to my house, that is never a problem! Ya'll stay tuned for the results, yahear?

(Jefe, you have an advantage...You're going to be there. Too bad for reader #2 that they have not perfected smell-o-vision for Weblogs!)

No comments: