Friday, May 19, 2006

Structure

Remember back long ago when I talked abut learning how to do things through the Internet? Well, chalk up one more proficiency; structured house wiring.

Yesterday I ran all the wiring for the addition in a marathon session lasting 13 hours. Jefe called to volunteer (thanks Jeff!), and I stupidly declined his help because I thought it would be a waste of his day off. It might still have been a waste, but about 3PM I was really wishing I had taken him up on it.

There was only one hideous outburst of woods language the whole day. On our very first hole drilled to the second floor, Andy put the drill bit squarely through the "expensive" 5 lead home run electrical supply line for the second floor. I can curse like a longshoreman, and even I learned some new words in two minutes that followed. So we were set back by having to run completely new wire for that circuit before I even started the other stuff.

Other than that, the research paid off. The structured wiring enclosures, phone and Cat5 modules, IR system and satellite all came together in a very tidy control location. Very nice system to work with. Miles and miles of cable seem controllable when you have a system. I even designed and wired for a 7.1 surround system that will probably never be properly utilized. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

Now the drywallers can come. Now Andy can relax. Now Jefe can help me with the final hookups when the drywall is done (catch that Jeff?). Then, hopefully, we apply power and telephone service and everything works. If it does not, there will be some more woods language education going on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

5 lead home run electrical supply line, new wire for that circuit, structured wiring enclosures, phone and Cat5 modules, IR system and satellite, Miles and miles of cable, 7.1 surround system, drywallers.

You sound like the adults on Peanuts to me :-)

Eric said...

You mean...similar to how you sound when talking about dead actors, obscure foreign film, and vaudvillian campy singing groups? :-)

Anonymous said...

Uh, yeah, I guess so. :-) Bwah Bwah bwah bwah bwah!



WAIT JUST ONE GOSH DARN MINUTE!!! THAT'S ALL I EVER WRITE ABOUT!!!!! :-)