Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I'm freakin

Man this week is sucking butt; and sorry, but bluntness is all I have left. Don't know if I've posted this in the past, but my father-in-law Andy is singlehandedly building a 1800 sq. Ft. addition to his son's house. He is overwhelmed currently, as the project is much larger than he gave it credit for prior to starting.

Long story short; I have been tapped to "volunteer" my services designing, wiring and activating the addition's satellite, phone, infrared control and data systems. I've known of this task for quite some time, but no one took the time to tell me what they wanted until LAST WEEK! You can't plan something you don't know what needs planning for.

So now I have $700 worth of supplies being next-day-aired to me, and I am taking the day off Thursday to start the job...which impossibly needs to be completed by next week so the drywallers can start. The start of the drywallers signals a vacation for Andy; one for which he is both desperate to take and is sorely needed. So he is pushing, and I am more than just a little ticked...so pushing flips my switch. Shit like this just does not happen overnight and get done right. There must be planning, considerations, discussions, equipment evaluated and located, etc... none of which even began to be done until last Thursday (when, I might add, I took ANOTHER day off work to go up and demand some answers).

The last time Andy built a house, all you had to do was worry about some poorly hooked up POT telephone wire. Things have changed A LOT since the 60's. He can't begin to contemplate even the layout for the satellite system, let alone the infrared and Cat5e systems to control it. It's not his fault, he's a great guy...he just can't understand why this is so complex, and deserving of so much thought, that it might need more than one night to plan. It makes him angry that he does not understand it, and that makes me angry as well. It will either be done right...or I aint' doing it. That's how my free labor and engineering services work, and I am funny that way.
Period. End of story.

(Jefe, if you're reading this, I just realized that it makes a pretty good plea for some free help if you're looking for something to do!)

No comments: