Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Calling all String Theory Experts

This idea completely blows me away. I'm not a physicist, but I have been thinking since my frosh year in college about the ways in which the fundamental ideas in Quantum Mechanics might eventually integrate into Newtonian Physics. The progression of "String Theory" into "Superstring Theory" seems to definitely be on the right track (not that I would know...But I'm guessing).

I have a problem with Superstring though; I can't get a functional grasp on the idea of multiverses and braneworlds. A postulation in String theory posits us in a world of multiple dimensions. Not just 3+1 as we are familiar with, but.. I think the figure was as high as 26. Since we bathe in the soup of spacetime every second of our lives, these extra dimensions encompass us at any given moment. Somehow, it is surmised, the impact of Quantum Mechanics on string theory translates into the possibility that every action (and every OTHER choice of action) for any given thing results in differing outcomes in other "Parallel Universes".

If I decide to break a glass right now, I have possibly created another multiverse where I did not break the glass, and all other things are equal except the outcomes of breaking the glass. This seems plausible to me until you create boundaries for what constitutes an "action". It appears that as long as you don't break the laws of Physics, anything is possible. Did the simple act of me spelling this sentence correctly, create permutations of multiverses in which each and every letter in each word, in turn, is incorrect? Statistically the number of them would be enormous, and that does not even take into account whether I even typed the sentence or not, which font I used, the spacing, the syntax, or the very idea that produced it to begin with.

From what I have read about Superstring and Multiverses, I know it is gaining validity. Physicists are closing in on the first experimental confirmation of some of the theories the comprise it. But this byproduct I outlined above does not make logical sense to my puny brain. Every nanosecond of your life is an action. My heart beats 78 times a minute for X number of years..And there are billions of others on the planet doing the same thing. Every beat is technically a go/no-go proposition. How many multiverses were created with the last world wide heartbeat?

This theory is really a mind bender folks.

No comments: