Wednesday, February 22, 2006

An appeal for some Metaphysical help as well.

"Words to Describe Me" on the right shows I am still just an Agnostic, not an Atheist. So don't get your undies in a bundle over this if you're a devout Christian. Your beliefs are just fine with me. I could still be swayed, but you will need to work hard at it, and on more than just the following trivial line of my thought.

Here are some premises for an argument that has been knocking about in my head for some time. This is my first attempt to put it on paper:

IF:

A) Omnipotence (all powerfulness) encompasses all of Eric's abilities and more.

B) Eric has the ability to conceive of a entity that is more powerful than God.

Conclusion
C: Omnipotence includes the ability to conceive of an entity more powerful than God.


And IF:

D) God is omnipotent in ability .
(true by all popular accounts)

E) Omnipotence includes the ability to conceive of an entity more powerful than God.

Conclusion
F: God has the ability to conceive of an entity more powerful than Himself/Herself.


And if:

G) The conception of such an entity negates the one true "God", as "God" cannot be applied to both the entity and his better.

H) God has the ability to conceive of an entity more powerful than Himself/Herself

Conclusion
I: God negates Himself/Herself

Finally:

J) An entity that negates itself by it's very existence, is inconsistent with it's own existence.

K) God negates Himself/Herself

Conclusion
L: God does not exist.

If C,F, and I are all TRUE, then conclusion L is logically TRUE, but I don't know about it's validity or status as cogent.

Here is another true statement: I got an "F" in logic in college. So I may have stated or presented this argument wrong. I was never any good with those darn symbols! But there is something here that I just can't put my finger on. Forget the formal logics and just play with it. That is assuming your not in fear of eternal damnation.

No comments: