Sunday, January 27, 2008

Lil' Abner

A few weeks ago, my wife's running partner mentioned that the local Humane Society had taken in a stray Mastiff. The woman and her family were in the process of deciding whether they were going to adopt the dog. I was intrigued by the story of the dog, and decided to stop by the shelter to meet him, thinking that we might be interested in adopting him if they did not. When I saw him I was deeply moved to take him home right then, but my wife, out of respect for her friend, wanted them to have first chance. I was not very happy for a day or two...but I understood. Anyway, it turns out they did adopt him.

Guess who we got to dog-sit for on Saturday? None other than Abner the Mastiff. What a great guy he was, and now I am even more upset that we could not have him. He is an absolute LOVER and CUDDLER. I'm glad he went to a great home, but we missed out on a super dog. BTW; I can't even describe how big this guy is. My frame of reference was seriously deficient when picturing "big" dogs before I met Abner. Macy, our 73# black lab, looked like a puppy next to him. Isn't he just adorable?

No comments: