Saturday, December 15, 2007

Holy Crap!

I made the discovery of a lifetime at 2:30 AM this morning. The new iPod nano (as shitty as it is), has turned me on to iTunes as a new source of downloads. While checking the depth of their library, I ran across a previously unknown-to-me live EP by the band Shiner. The first song is called "Fetch a Switch", and the live version has become since last night...one of my favorite songs of all time! One of those things you hear and just know that 40 years from now...you will still be captivated by.

Dark, brooding, and with the slowgrind KC MO sound Shiner had perfected, this song has particularly simple and personal lyrics, no doubt a reflection of songwriter Epley's terrible childhood. Absolutely painful to contemplate while listening, but requiring continuous dissection afterwards, it's brilliant stuff from a brilliant band.

The song starts like this:

Brian Epley says to the crowd "Evolution is just...a theory" and the music starts. Slowly, the first verse unfolds.

Stop your crying boy / I'll make you scream.
Fetch a switch for me.
Dance for Mama boy / and get some smokes.
Don't let your Daddy see that smile.
I'll make you pay for it.


Ouch!

Listen NOW!: "1. Fetch a Switch (Live) - Shiner"

2 comments:

Donna O said...

It truly amazes me how our tastes in music can differ so drastically. I listened to the song and it ended and I was like, "Did I just listen to something? I'm not sure."

Regardless, I don't fault you.

Eric said...

Differing tastes makes the world go 'round, and besides...it is hard to find fault with me.

So I don't blame you.