Monday, February 05, 2007

I've Been Remiss..

in keeping up with this blog. Things are starting to level off for me a little, but I am still unemployed. I finally am able to receive unemployment compensation, and that helps a bit...but the bills are adding up at a much faster rate.

I'm forced to contact at least two employers every week to receive my payments. Funny thing is, there is no differentiation placed on what skill level or pay scale you seek. I'm a former CEO who can now contact McDonalds for burger-flipping duties and keep his unemployment money coming in. Cool. When I mention a six figure salary for doing it...they never call back. But I jest somewhat, because I really would like to find gainful employment. I'm just not sure what I want to do quite yet.

There is still so much going on with the business closure that I should still be getting paid full time for my duties there, but I am not. I'm negotiating the sale of three commercial properties, getting sued every week, closing a business AND looking for work all simultaneously. Oh and don't forget...I cook and clean at the homestead while the perennial breadwinner does her thing. Got a load of towels to wash as soon as I get home.

In short...I'm still alive. I've got my Zoloft and my friends, along with many, many, damn good bottles of wine. I've got unemployment coming in, and HDTV in two rooms to kill the time. What more could a loser ask for?

How about a better self image to start. Yes tis true. The Gomer you all know and love...secure in his shit, intelligent to fault, and master of his domain...has sunk to new levels of self pity and loathing. I believe it has begun to sink in just how fucked I really am. Although I reach daily for my bootstraps on which to give a heave...I never seem to find them. It struck home with thunderous doom the day I was asked, when inquiring about a management position, "describe your management accomplishments and provide examples of success using figures and achievements".

"Well let's see" I'm thinking. I'm 38 and never worked for anyone except my family business. Oh yeah dude, did I mention how I ran it into the ground when I became President? Record time my friend. I had that Company completely turned around in five years..that's right dude...five short years to utter failure. But enough resume' chit-chat, let's see what you've got to offer me in the way of a big freakin salary."

"Good day Mr.Gomer. You'll be hearing from us".

And that's all she wrote.

No comments: