Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thanksgiving Slump

Even though this week is crazy busy with prep for the sale, last week was sort of laid back. The crew cleaning and organizing for the sale were deer hunters, and last week was Wisconsin's 9 day gun deer season. Throw in a holiday...and it made for a lazy week.

For the first time in 10 years I was able to enjoy the entire deer season on any schedule I wanted. It will probably be the last time as well. I stayed at the shack most of the time, even sometimes completely alone. Not that I am scared of the dark or anything...I'm no pansy...but being in the middle of nowhere alone in a shack in the middle of the woods is a little unnerving at first. Think Blair Witch shit and you will get some sort of idea.

On Sunday of the last weekend I managed to get my scope on only the second "shooter" buck I saw all season. I made a miraculous shot (312 yards, thank you very much) and dropped him in his tracks to end my season. J and I cut him up and packaged all the meat, then off to the taxidermy man for a shoulder mount.

I will always remember this deer season because of where I am with my life, but also because it was very nearly the "perfect season". Plenty of time, good weather, great friends and family.

...even if I did leave the TV on all night at the shack to ward off the boogey man when I was alone!

No comments: