Monday, August 14, 2006

Regarding the post below

About a week ago, I found a dead Possum in my back yard. I've never seen one up close...and man...those are some ugly M F'ers! After I buried it, I got to wondering just what the heck had happened. Having Possums around is not unusual, but seeing a dead one anywhere besides splattered on the road is.

We had gotten a severe rainfall the previous night, and the critter carcass was located in the dry creekbed in my back yard. Maybe it drowned in the runoff from the rain? The "dry" creek was anything but after the downpour, having filled immediately to "swollen" status. Possibly it was hit on the nearby road and made it this far before dying? Worst case, it died of rabies, and that was what worried me.

Now I wonder if it wandered into the bees nest. A slow-moving Possum would certainly be overwhelmed by the number of bees in that thing, and could have been stung hundreds..thousands of times in the plod to get away. Get enough stings, and your heart and breathing get affected. It would not surprise me at all that this is what happened to this thing. I don't know if bees can kill a small animal, but I would not dismiss it.

No comments: