Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Clear the air

Ok folks, I've got to clean something up. I recently received an email from a reader taking me to task over my former "Words to describe me" listing of "apolitical". Why the Gomer's Politics page then? True, it would seem a little confusing, so let me clarify.

I originally meant the "apolitical" to mean "one who does not practice politics". Kind of like "asexual" when referring to reproduction (or marriage, they are interchangeable).
I stand by my original view. I don't practice politics, I don't subscribe to choosing a party, and I wouldn't conform if I had to. What I am is opinionated. All opinions are NOT politics, but all politics ARE opinions.

According to Wayne Campbell, it was either Kierkegaard or Dick Van Patton who said "if you label me, you negate me". I refuse to be labeled, even with a middle-of-the-road term like "moderate". I have equal repugnance for all politicians, contempt for the political system, and scorn for the devotees. The unfortunate reality is that the vast majority of the population identifies their own opinions, however misguided it may be, with a political party. You see me spout...you label me. It's all good, but you might often be incorrect in your attachment to the right.

So, I have placed my opinions on a page and relabeled it "politics". What really should happen is that the reader should view the opinion, filter through their own political beliefs, and take away what they want. Call my views Neocon, right wing, or just plain old conservative...I could care less. The debate over the content is what is important. Don't sell your own opinion short by attaching Party affiliations.

No comments: