Friday, June 30, 2006

Absolute Madness

Jefe called me last night to let me know that his place on the waiting list for 2005 Bordeaux futures paid off. He wanted to get a bottle of the worlds finest wine to place in his new cellar, so that it might be ready to drink when his daughter Alexa was old enough to sample it. In the greatest coincidence in modern times, the 2005 vintage (available as futures right now) is being hailed as one of the best...ever...so everything but the prices were coming together to make his desire a reality.

In a choice between the 2005 Chateau Latour and the 2005 Margaux Margaux, I told him he should be leaning towards the Margaux. It is arguably the best wine in the world; certainly a star from the left bank, but be prepared to pay very dearly. My GUESS was that his choice of wine and all the vintage hype would place this wine at $350 / bottle on the futures market. How wrong I was became apparent last night. K&L emailed Jefe to say they had 60 bottles allotted for futures, delivering sometime in 2008, he had to act NOW or they would be gone. The price?

A bank-draining $719 per bottle, and he bought one!

Now, you must keep in mind that 30-40 years from now, with proper cellaring, he may be able to sell that bottle for $2000+. But I know he won't. We will all gather for Alexa's 21st birthday, and if the tasting notes are favorable, it will be opened.

God I hope it isn't "corked" (corked is spoiling of the wine by cork fungus, A condition unknown to the drinker until it is opened).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't care about resell value-- I am sticking with my Charles "Three Buck Chuck" Shaw wine.

Eric said...

Did they raise the price? Used to be called "Two Buck Chuck", and very hard to come by in the upper Midwest.

I heard it was good...for the price anyway.

Anonymous said...

It's a California wine so the further east you go, the higher the price.