Monday, April 24, 2006

A love-hate thing

I both love and hate Spring. I love it because of it's sights and smells, and I hate it because of all the work it brings. The older I get, the more work there is in the Spring. By the time I am ready to retire, Spring will have evolved into a perpetual work season encompassing my entire year. That is really what retirement is for...full time attention to the by-then-bloated "honey do" list.

As I get older, I accumulate more "things" that need attention in the spring:

boats
buildings
plants and landscapes
fishing equipment
patio furnishings
docks

All of which increase my Spring workload; and decrease the amount of time spent savoring the reasons I really enjoy the season. When I was a child, Spring was a change in the smell of the air, a delightful change in the landscape, or a swollen creek ripe for exploration. Now it just means work; and another quarter of another year, in the too-short progression of a somewhat meaningless life.

No comments: