Thursday, February 16, 2006

Censorship

Seems that the idea of censoring things has gotten much discussion of late due to Internet companies, China, and the "War on Terror" (note I am still using quotes on this even though the "conflict" has been officially named). My tirade against handicapping freedom has not progressed past my local Wal-Mart.

This REALLY bothers me.

Walk into any Wal-Mart...I don't care where...and head to the music section. Once there, look for some music you know contains profanity as intended by the recording artist. Any metal music will do. Notice the "EDITED" on the price sticker? Now for a real hoot, try to find the same recording without the "EDITED" part.

Won't happen at Wal-Mart.

Now...I am all for judicious protection of our youth. I wholeheartedly understand a business motive for offering alternative products for those who choose to seek them out. But please Mr. Smileyface; for goodness sakes offer your customers the freedom to CHOOSE censorship. Wal-Mart happens to be the only game in my town when it comes to buying music. Nevermind Wal-Mart's role in bringing that about. Put aside the fact that I am old enough that I still buy my music...(gasp)..in person. Wally world is now perpetrating in reverse the very argument that brought the "EDITED" versions of art to the store in the first place. That is: those who "want" have a right to "have available".

The hypocrisy of Wal-Mart is astounding. Mere feet away from my now protected ears strolling the CD aisle, lies the biggest collection of Hollywood garbage this side of Blockbuster. No "EDITED" tags here. Granted, there is not any "XXX" stuff. There is, however, plenty of "R" rated titles that I know for a fact contain some of the foulest dialog burned to celluloid. Scarface comes immediately to mind.

Looking in the other direction, my eyes meander to the video game section. A child, clearly under 17, is busy fragging the shit out of the Germans in an X Box 360 demo game. More violence can be seen here in 1 minute than can be visualized in an entire Snoop Dogg CD. The child would doubtfully ever make it past the checkout freak with this in hand. I mean after all it is LABELED "M" for mature, but that's the point. Wal-Mart seems perfectly content letting Junior stand there all day and play the thing. Where's Mom? Shopping the 5 for $10 lingerie sale no doubt. I get carded for tobacco on my way out because I "look" under 27!

Today's point is about choice, the Friedman philosophy of being "free to choose", and how it is applied. Hypocritically is how it is applied at the World's #1 retailer. Remember how that "Made in America" thing went over for you? Open mouth and insert foot Wally.

No comments: